How to Check Your Transmission Fluid
Learning how to check your transmission fluid in your new FIAT, Alfa Romeo can help prevent car problems in the future. It’s easier than you might think! Just follow the steps below.
Five Steps to Checking Your Transmission Fluid
- Start your car and let the engine run to warm up.
- Locate the transmission fluid dipstick. If your car has front-wheel drive, look to the right of the oil dipstick. Not there? Check your owner’s manual.
- After you’ve removed the dipstick, examine the transmission fluid. It should be nearly transparent with a pink hue. If it looks dirty or smells burnt, it needs to be replaced.
- Clean the dipstick with a rag and slide it back into position. Remove it again and check the level. You’ll need to add more fluid if the line is below the “full” mark.
- Raise the level using a funnel. Be sure not to overfill.
How Often Do You Check Your Transmission Fluid?
You’ll want to check your car’s transmission fluid monthly — and that goes for all main fluids like power steering fluid and engine oil. If you have questions about services and service intervals, check your owner’s manual or ask a professional.
Tips for Replacing Your Transmission Fluid
Keep in mind: your car’s transmission is a crucial and complicated machine. Check out these tips before you change the transmission fluid:
- There are different types of transmission fluid. Your owner’s manual will tell you whether you need manual or automatic transmission fluid.
- Does your car have a manual? If so, you’ll likely need a jack to reach a plug under the car. In this case, you may want to schedule a visit to our service center near Seattle.
- Low transmission fluid can cause your vehicle to hesitate before shifting gears. This could also be an indicator of a more severe problem. If the transmission fluid level is “full,” bring your car to us for an inspection.
- Transmission fluid should be replaced every 50,000 to 100,000 miles. Of course, this depends on your driving habits and transmission type.
Learn More About How to Check Your Transmission Fluid at FIAT of Tacoma
If you have more questions about checking the fluid level in your transmission, or our parts and service specials, contact FIAT of Tacoma today! You’re also welcome to visit us near Olympia and Lakewood!
More Service Tips from FIAT of Tacoma
Learning how to check your transmission fluid in your new FIAT, Alfa Romeo can help prevent car problems in the future. It’s easier than you might think! Just follow the steps below. Schedule Service Contact Us Five Steps to Checking Your Transmission Fluid Start your car and let the engine run to warm up. Locate the transmission…
FIAT Service Specials Contact Us Wondering how an oil change works on your FIAT 500 or other FIAT model? Ensure you have the appropriate filter for your FIAT. It’s a good idea to check the owner’s manual on your FIAT before you order a new oil filter, but generally speaking, you want an oil…